Thank you for using SoundSoap 5! We hope this User's Guide will provide you with all the information you need to use SoundSoap 5 in your workflows. The information in the User Guide applies to all SoundSoap, SoundSoap+, and SoundSoap Solo editions.
Almost everyone has experienced undesirable background noise in their recordings. Maybe that amazing video of your kids also captured a noisy air conditioner, or that interview you recorded has a loud highway buzzing in the background. Were loud fans supposed to be part of your screencast? Have a loud humming sound caused by a bad cable? Maybe you are removing clicks and crackles from an old LP collection or hiss from your audio cassette collection… the list goes on and on. In any case, these noises can be a big distraction in your project. SoundSoap makes rescuing these recordings effortless - no experience necessary!
SoundSoap is perfect for anyone working with interviews, video projects, iPhone/iPad videos, screencasts, podcasts, transferring LPs or cassettes, and more. With just a few simple controls, anyone can remove clicks and crackles, unwanted hiss, room noise, rumble, electrical hum, and other background noise from almost any digital media file — including digital video (DV), digital audio workstation tracks, analog cassette/tape recordings, vinyl LP recordings, and more. SoundSoap is a must-have for easily cleaning up audio before you share it.
If you have already installed SoundSoap and want to quickly learn how to use it, please jump to the QuickStart Chapter. If you would like to learn more about different types of audio noise SoundSoap can remove, please read the Types of Noise Chapter. If you want specific information about the different controls and how they work, please jump to the Controls Chapter.
Version 5 of SoundSoap also introduces SoundSoap+, with additional controls and enhancement capabilities. Be sure to refer to the SoundSoap+ Controls chapter for additional information on the SoundSoap+ Controls.
Version 5 New Features
SoundSoap 5 offers a number of new features and enhancements, including:
* Automatic noise detection* - SoundSoap analyzes media files automagically and will try to find the best location for learning noise. SoundSoap then automatically learns noise at this location rather than using a default, flat noise profile.
• Set noise location* on the waveform display in the Media Window - move the vertical red indicator to learn noise at a new location in the media file.
• Waveform display for video* - now you can toggle a view between video and the audio waveform display.
* Improved hum removal - the hum removal algorithm has been greatly improved.
* Enhanced media controls* - return to start, backward, and forward key commands.
* FLAC and MP3 support* - download the LAME installer for MP3 encoding here http://www.thalictrum.com/en/products/lame.html
* Audio metering
• Full Bypass* - the Power button on Media Window now bypasses all SoundSoap processing for true A/B comparing.
• Reset* - reset all controls and the noise profile to their default settings.
About SoundSoap Solo
SoundSoap Solo is a desktop app-only edition of SoundSoap with fewer features than SoundSoap and SoundSoap+. SoundSoap Solo does not include the following features:
• Fix Click/Crackle
• Usage as a plug-in
• Batch File Processing
SoundSoap+ provides several powerful additional controls for pinpoint accuracy in your audio restoration work. SoundSoap+ adds the following additional controls:
- Noise Reduction Target - control the range of frequencies where broadband noise reduction is applied - great for reducing artifacts and surgical placement of noise reduction in the spectrum. Click on the Wash Window to control the frequency range used for broadband noise reduction.
- Downward Expander - SoundSoap+ adds a downward expander with adjustable compression ratio and threshold (see below).
• Adjustable thresholds for Track and Downward Expander in the Wash Window when Waveform display button is on.
• New audio enhancement presets via multi-band compressor - Low+High (original), Low+Mid, Mid+High, Lows, Mids, and Highs presets available.
- Hum harmonics - and you can now control the number of number of hum harmonics SoundSoap removes.
- Hi-cut frequency - cut high frequencies - useful for eliminating hiss and other high frequencies issues.
- Low-cut/rumble frequency - control the low-frequency cutoff for controlling rumble and other low-frequency issues.
* = feature only applies to standalone application. MP3 encoding not available in Mac App Store edition of SoundSoap.